Thursday, March 26, 2009

This is a Disgrace

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4017382

This is a little off-topic, but once I read it I felt I had to comment on it. Now, I generally operate under the belief that the police try their hardest to be fair and levelheaded when they pull someone over. It really disappoints me when I read articles like this where it seems that the officer acted very aggressively even though he was unprovoked. There was no reason for the officer to have his gun drawn before Moats' wife got out of the car, but from the explanation, it seems that he had it drawn the whole time. As much as I hate to play the race card, that action, and his threat that "I can screw you over" really seems to indicate that he was treating Moats differently because of his skin color. It's shameful the way this particular officer acted, despite confirmation from another officer that Moats' mother-in-law was indeed dying. Because of his actions, and the fact that he cost the dying woman's father a chance to see his daughter one final time, I really have to agree with Moats when he said that the officer should lose his job. His actions were despicable and there is no place for that on the police force.

No comments: